Legal Documents


Changing your passport is a straightforward process and helps when changing any other documents as well for more details and to access this online click here.

To change your gender on a UK passport, it is not necessary to have started hormone treatment or to have had any surgery. You simply need to have started ONE of the following with your passport application and supporting documents:

  • A letter from a doctor or chartered psychologist who practises in gender dysphoria stating that you have a need to live in a different gender, and evidence of your change of name (e.g your deed poll or Statutory Declaration)
  • A gender recognition certificate
  • A new birth or adoption certificate showing your acquired gender

Changing your gender on your passport does not change your legal gender. This is tied to your birth certificate, through the new passport will have your chosen Gender on it.


Changing your name

Anyone, Trans or otherwise can change their name at any time, so long as it isn't done for any illegal or fraud purposes. You can change all your names or just one of them. A minimum of a statutory declaration is usually enough through you can also obtain a Deed Poll, through you can simply start using your new name.

In certain circumstances (passport, changing bank account into a new name etc.), where evidence will be required of your new name. This evidence is usually in the form of a letter from a professional person, a statutory declaration or a deed poll. The most commonly used document to show a change of name is a statutory declaration as it is the easiest and the cheapest to obtain.

To obtain a statutory declaration you would need the services of a practising solicitor, public notart, or other officer of a court authorised by law to administer an oath, as they need to witness the signing of it.

More information is available on the Equality and Human Rights Commission website.

For additional information, click here for a document by Press for Change


Gender Recognition Certificate

The Gender Recognition Act 2004 created a process to enable Tran's people to get their UK birth certificates and legal gender changed. The Trans person can apply to the Government's Gender Recognition Panel for a Gender Recognition Certificate. Once obtained, the law will recognise them as having all the right and responsibilities apropriate to the person of their acquired gender. These could relate to matter such as your pension entitlements, your benefit entitlements or your marriage.

You are eligible to apply for Gender Recognition if you are:

  • At least 18 years of age; and
  • Have lived in your acquired gender or have been recognised under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom as having changed gender.

The application process further requires that you demonstrate that:

You have, or have had, gender dysphoria; (you are required to provide two medical reports (one from a GP and one a Gender Specialist) confirming the diagnosis and detailing the transition-related medical treatment (psychological counselling, hormones and/or surgical procedures) you have received. If you have not undergone surgery, then one of the reports should indicate any surgery that you intend to have but are still waiting for. If you do not intend to have any surgery then one of the medical reports should explain why not. You have lived fully for the last two years in your acquired gender, and You intend to live permanently in your acquired gender (new gender). There are other things to consider. Where the applicant is married or in a civil partnership, the panel will not be able to issue a full GRC, though they may issue an interim Certificate. This is because unless the marriage or civil partnership is terminated, it has the effect of creating a same sex marriage or an opposite sex civil partnership, neither of which are currently permitted under UK law. For couples who do not wish to end their relationship, they need to first end their existing marriage or civil partnership, as appropriate, on the granting of the GRC. They can then opt to marry or enter a civil partnership as appropriate. These can be arranged to happen on the same day

Birth Certificate

In order to change this, you would have had to obtain your Gender Recognition Certificate. The Gender Recognition Act 2004 created a process to enable Tran’s people to get their UK birth certificates and legal gender changed. The Trans individual applies to the Gender Recognition Panel for a Gender Recognition Certificate, from which you can draw a new birth certificate. Guidance can be found here. The Birth Certificate drawn in this manner is indistinguishable from any other birth certificate, and will indicate the new legal sex and name. It can be used wherever a birth certificate is used, such as for a passport. The birth certificate showing the previous legal gender continues to exist, and will carry no indication that there is an associated Gender Recognition Certificate or alternative birth certificate. Certain authorised agencies, with court permission, may have access to the Gender Recognition Register showing the links between these certificates, but the link will be invisible to the general public. This is the same way in which birth certificates drawn from the Adoption Register work.


Driving Licence

To apply in N.I. you can access this on-line by clicking here.


You can choose to either send your documents by post or take them to your local DVA office, and again is a relatively easy process. It is not necessary to have started hormone treatment or to have had any surgery when you wish to change your driving license. As with your passport, changing your gender on a UK driving licence does not change your legal gender.

Previous page: Resources
Next page: Publications